Red Dog and Me

This is an on-going dialog between me and a certain motor scooter, namely a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 that came to live with me in October of 2009. I've named the scooter Red Dog and as yet have not determined its gender. In the past when I've named boats, bikes, and other like characters I've thought of them as feminine due to their behavior characteristics. Red Dog I'm not so sure about...we'll see. Update: OK, Red Dog's a girl...with an attitude

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Dec 13, 2009 Uni-Go Hitch Update


Not much to report on the trailer, everything remains status-quo for delivery. I went ahead and ordered a spare hitch receiver so the fabrication guys could start building the hitch. It arrived a couple of days ago and I’ll take it to the fabrication shop as soon as they’re ready, maybe this coming week.


I’m thinking I may have a hitch made for El Nino while I’m at it as I’m not 100% certain I’ll take Red Dog on my summer tour. A lot depends on how comfortable she is to ride long distances plus I want to be certain of her reliability. There’s a lot of talk on the MV Forum (Modern Vespa) regarding maintenance issues, many of which seem to affect nearly all of the MP3 models. I’ll know more as I go along but right now the jury’s still out on which bike I’ll take. For anyone who’s interested here’s the link to the MV Forum, you don’t have to be a member to read the posts: http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/index.html

As a note of interest to those considering this trailer: The Uni-Go is a nice unit and you won’t find anyone who’s towed one who doesn’t love it. At least I haven’t and that’s one of the main reasons for my decision to buy one. Dealing with the west coast distributor has been easy and I have no complaints; my phone call messages and emails have been responded to in a timely manner. Of course they’ve been keen on making another sale and you always get prompt responses during that time.


I did register a bit of dissatisfaction about their shipping fees for the hitch receiver as charging $33.14 to ship a 2 lb item is way over the top. The distributor commented that the factory customarily charges high prices for small items which was obvious considering the receiver itself is $56.10. We talked for a bit about the extraordinary shipping charges and he offered to bill what the factory charged him, $21.81. That still seemed astronomical but I figured it was better than before.

The receiver arrived in a USPS box and the shipping on the label is $6.55… Considering the folks at the post office give you the box free it’s obvious the Uni-Go people are gouging.

Certainly something for all of us to think about isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment