Red Dog and Me

This is an on-going dialog between me and a certain motor scooter, namely a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 that came to live with me in October of 2009. I've named the scooter Red Dog and as yet have not determined its gender. In the past when I've named boats, bikes, and other like characters I've thought of them as feminine due to their behavior characteristics. Red Dog I'm not so sure about...we'll see. Update: OK, Red Dog's a girl...with an attitude

Monday, January 18, 2010

Jan 18, 2010 The Uni-Go is here!


Phone rings at 7:00am this morning....
I hate calls when it's still dark outside, they're always bad news, someone died or your nephew stacked up your car, etc. This was different, it was the shipping company advising me they'd be delivering the UniGo beastie in a couple of hours and could they get their semi up our driveway? Of course they could given enough time but rather than mess with that I agreed to meet them at the nearest landmark, the Wildlife Safari Game Park up the road a few hundred yards. Living next to them is like living in Jurassic Park but I won't go there just now, suffice to say it's interesting.


I arrived a few minutes before the truck just in time to snap a photo of them approaching, and then it was transfer the shipping box from the truck into the back of my pickup and head home.


I spent most of the day messing around with various goodies and in the process managed to drop and subsequently lose one of the critical nuts. You wouldn't believe the stuff that's disappeared in a flash in my garage, it's simply amazing. Anyway this resulted in my having to drive into town and search for a 12mm 175 thread aviation type nut used to secure the trailer's axle. After the True Value I went to the local Ace Hardware where at least they knew what I wanted but didn't have and directed me back to the NAPA store where they actually had several of the beasts. Simply incredible, what are the odds?


At home again I finished installing the wheel and moved everything out of the living room up to the barn. (Wot? I didn't mention using the living room as UniGo assembly station No. 1?) In any event it was up to the barn, unload Red Dog who was still parked on the trailer from her recent trip to Medford and prepare for the next phase of the UniGo's assembly. The next step entailed alignment of the tracking to the bike's stance and for the most part it went well enough. It isn't letter perfect but then again neither am I so I expect it will do.


During all this commotion the main fluorescent lights in the barn went south so I spent a considerable amount of time messing around trying to fix it with no real success. The end result of all this was after doing a minimal alignment of the trailer to the bike I decided to pitch it in for the day and go get well, i.e., have a very large G&T, set a fire in the fireplace and maybe watch a really bad movie or two.

Tomorrow is truly another day…

No comments:

Post a Comment