Red Dog and Me

This is an on-going dialog between me and a certain motor scooter, namely a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 that came to live with me in October of 2009. I've named the scooter Red Dog and as yet have not determined its gender. In the past when I've named boats, bikes, and other like characters I've thought of them as feminine due to their behavior characteristics. Red Dog I'm not so sure about...we'll see. Update: OK, Red Dog's a girl...with an attitude

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Jan 03, 2010 At last the hitch is installed, doesn’t look half bad


The weather people co-operated today, overcast & cool but no rain, at least not around our place. Typical Sunday morning meant breakfast with friends and then it was time to install the new hitch. The whole process went easy and with the help of a big rubber mallet the beastie was soon knocked into place and all the hardware set and tightened. Ron builds things to close tolerances which suits me just fine.


I replaced several of the nylon zip ties we’d had to cut during the fabrication process plus removed a bit of primer overspray. As most things go where the fit is tight the fresh paint job picked up a few mars but nothing serious. I’ll attend to those later when I dig into the wiring harness to install the isolation relay.

The Uni-Go folks said the optimum position for the hitch receiver is 14” from the ground so Ron set it at 13 ½” when the rear shock is on the low or softest setting. You gain a bit more than ½” at the firm setting which is what the trailer people recommend so it should be just right when loaded.

To finish up I reinstalled all the Tupperware without incident, no broken tabs or other nasty bits although I seem to have 4 small identical screws left over. Right now I’m ready for a break so I’ll leave those for later, wouldn’t want to use up all the fun stuff in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment